National Geographical Society of India
Established in 1946
The National Geographical Society of India (NGSI) was established in 1946, when an independent Department of Geography came into being at Banaras Hindu University where its official headquarters is located. It draws membership largely from geographers, other earth scientists and professional practitioners from allied disciplines. However, it is open to all interested in the broader field of geographical knowledge concerned with the study of the Earth as the home of mankind.
The NGSI basically aims at promotion and dissemination of geographical knowledge in India through field investigation, research, and teaching like activities which can lead to directly or indirectly lead to the development of Geography and uplift the people’s living conditions. Since its inception, the Society has been publishing standard geographical literature including research bulletins, research monographs, and its regular quarterly journal, the National Geographical Journal of India (NGJI) which has published over 2000 research articles, books reviews, obituaries, etc. covering all major fields of Geography contributed by eminent scholars from India and abroad.
The Society also publishes राष्ट्रीय भौगोलिक पत्रिका (Rashtriya Bhaugolik Patrika, RBP ) – a Hindi bi-annual journal. The NGSI has current subscribers to its journals the NGJI and the RBP as Life Members, Institutional Members, and Annual Members.